Evangelism and Outreach
The picture in Kansas is the same. According to the Pew Religious Landscape Study (2014):
- 76% of Kansans identify themselves as Christian; 20% are “nones” (unaffiliated; unbelievers)
- 50% view religion as very important (down from 61% in 2007)
- 37% report attending church weekly (down from 48% in 2007); 28% seldom or never attend (and those are self-reports; actual weekly attendance is likely lower)
Maybe you’ve seen these trends in your own community. They’re sobering, but they also point to a wealth of opportunities to witness–in the U.S., in Kansas, in our local communities and in our own families.
We all share the vocation of “Christian witness.” We may not all be called to proclaim from a pulpit, but we can share the story of Jesus’ death and resurrection with others. The resources here can help make that job a little easier.
LCMS Witness & Outreach Ministry
If you’re interested in enhancing witnessing efforts in your congregation or school, check out the LCMS’s Witness & Outreach Ministry webpage, which offers the following resources:
- Weekly bulletin sentences (Year A, Year B, Year C)
- Community canvass guide
- A link to KFUO “Witness Wednesday” features
- Reading recommendations
- Brochures and videos describing Every One His Witness, a Lutheran evangelism program
Every One His Witness focuses on individual evangelism, using a systematic, action-oriented model to equip Christians to be active and effective witnesses for Christ.
You can now get Every One His Witness materials as a resource kit from Concordia Publishing House. The kit comes with an instructional DVD and materials (e.g., workbooks, journals) for 12 participants. If you’ve been looking for a cost-effective, practical, doctrinally sound resource for helping your congregation enhance its witnessing efforts, check out Every One His Witness. (Note: We have a kit in the District Office, if you’d like to take a look.)
Need help acquiring materials? Grant support is now available from the District for congregations, schools, and organizations interested in acquiring Every One His Witness materials. The grant process is simple; just download and complete the form below, and send it to Janet Powell in Missions and Stewardship.