2018 Kansas District Educators ConferenceOct. 14–16, 2018 | Hilton Garden Inn, Salina
Keynote I: Dr. Dave Rueter, DCE
A Heart of Teaching the Faith: Church, School, and Home
As workers called to serve Christ’s Kingdom and teach the faith to each emerging generation, we have a vital interest in making sure that we serve with both care and wisdom. Having a heart for teaching the faith in our churches, schools, and especially at home requires an understanding of the influence each sphere truly has and how to leverage the natural connections the God has created in each. Based on his doctoral research and subsequent book, Dr. Dave Rueter will discuss what it means to catechize our young people and how the church, school, and home all play a vital role.
Lunch Presentation: Jim Sanft, Concordia Plan Services
The Wellness Connection
The Imperative of Worker Wellness. Did you know that one of the objectives for forming the LCMS is to join together in caring for church workers and their families? Join Jim Sanft, president and CEO of Concordia Plan Services, for lunch and a conversation on worker wellness. Let’s talk about why wellness is more than just a “nice to do” activity and how this focus positively impacts workers, families and ministries!
Keynote II: Claudine Boldridge, Ed.S.
An Introduction to Restorative Practices in Schools
Social and emotional learning is essential to students’ overall performance in school. Restorative Practices is an evidencebased model focusing on school climate, classroom management, and student behaviors. It fosters community building, belongingness, and peaceably resolving conflicts by creating opportunities for those involved to listen to one another’s stories, to repair harm that may have occurred, and to restore positive relationships within the school community.
In this training, participants will:
- Learn why traditional approaches to discipline in schools are ineffective and counterproductive to student learning.
- Receive a brief overview of principals reflecting the values and concepts for implementing restorative practices in the school setting.
- Learn how to use restorative language to reinforce the core values of relationships, high expectations, responsibility, and accountability.
This conference is for all active and retired church workers and their spouses. Online registration begins August 1.
Through September 30
$75 – Emeritus, Spouse
After September 30
$75 – Emeritus, Spouse
Registration fee includes banquet meal Sunday night, breakfast and lunch on Monday, breakfast on Tuesday, all breaks and materials.
- This is a required conference for all rostered church workers.
- 5 clock-hour points will be available for early childhood educators – Sessions A1, B1, C1 and D1
- Cancellations or Substitutions – Substitute when possible as cancellations after Sept. 30, 2018 may be subject to a $70.00 per person cancellation fee to cover meal costs. Registrants can make changes to the online registration form until Sept. 30. Contact the District Office to make changes after that. Save your registration confirmation email as this contains the link to your individual online registration form.
Up-to-the-minute conference registration details regarding schedule, speakers, online registration and hotel registration can be accessed here on the conference webpage.
Questions? Contact Tami at the District Office at 785-357-4441 or 800-357-4421 ext. 200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hilton Garden Inn Salina
3320 South 9th Street
Salina, KS, 67401
To make reservations, follow the hotel registration link or call the hotel at 785-309-0440 and ask for the group rate by name (Kansas District Lutheran Educators). All reservations should be made by September 14, 2018. After this date, we will release the remainder of the guest room block. Additional reservation requests will be honored on a space and rate available basis.
Cost: $112/night plus tax – single
Check-in: 3:00 p.m.
Check-out: 11:00 a.m.
Amenities: 24-hour Pavilion Pantry Market, Bar Area, Coin Laundry, Laundry/Valet Service, Lounge, Luggage Hold, On-Site Convenience Store, Pavilion Lounge, Room Service, Safety Deposit Box, Snack Shop, Fitness Room, Pool
Worship Service Offering
The worship service offering has been designated by the Educators Committee for LeadaChild in celebration of their 50th anniversary. LeadaChild is one of three Recognized Service Organizations (RSOs) based in the Kansas District.